The Accounting Manager is responsible for performing accounting work required to maintain the company General Ledger. Working under the direction of the Director of Accounting, the Accounting Manager will be responsible for developing and maintaining accounting principles, practices and procedures to ensure accurate and timely financial statements. The Accounting Manager supervises five staff accountants and is responsible for managing the team to ensure that work is properly allocated and completed in a timely and accurate manner. The Accounting Manager should be a highly motivated self-starter with supervisory, review, and proofing experience.
Qualifications / Requirements
- Strong understanding of Generally Accepted Accounting Principles (GAAP)
- Experience with Direct Sales Industry
- Ability to develop and establish financial policies and procedures
- Ability to work independently, with little supervision.
- Ability to effectively direct and supervise.
- Ability to analyze financial data and to prepare accurate reports in a timely fashion.
- Knowledge and ability in the use of software applications (e.g. Microsoft, Word, Excel, Access, PowerPoint, etc.).
- Strong organization skills and the ability to maintain detailed records.
- Ability to communicate effectively both written and verbally in English.
- Ability to work effectively under stressful conditions.
- Ability to exercise initiative and sound judgment and to react with discretion under varying conditions.
- Ability to establish and maintain effective and appropriate relationships with employees, vendors, agencies and upper management.
RESPONSIBILITIES & DUTIES
- Oversees the daily accounting activities required to maintain the company’s general ledger.
- Obtain and maintain a thorough understanding of the financial reporting and general ledger structure.
- Supervises, directs, and reviews the work of the accounting staff (including but not limited to, bank reconciliations, vendor statement reconciliations, check runs, accounts receivable transactions, fixed assed activity, payroll, accounts payable transactions, recording of revenue and expenses, sales tax filing, etc.).
- Ensure an accurate and timely monthly, quarterly and year end close.
- Ensure the timely reporting of all monthly financial information.
- Supports budget and forecasting activities.
- Collaborates with the other accounting department managers to support overall department goals and objectives.
- Maintains and organizes set of detail records and files to document financial transactions.
- Monitors and analyzes department work to develop more efficient procedures and use of resources while maintaining a high level of accuracy.
- Advises staff regarding the handling of non-routine reporting transactions.
- Responds to inquiries from the Director of Accounting, VP of Finance, and the board of directors regarding financial results, special reporting requests and the like.
- Work with the Director of Accounting to ensure a clean and timely year end audit.
- Reviews the general ledger on a monthly basis to ensure accuracy of posting.
- Assist in development and implementation of new procedures and features to enhance the workflow of the department.
- Provide training to new and existing staff as needed.
- Handle personnel issues relating to staff conflicts, absenteeism, performance issues, etc.
- Work with each direct report to establish goals and objectives for each year and monitor and advice on the progress to enhance the professional development of staff.
- Support Director of Accounting with special projects and workflow process improvements.
Education / Training
- Five to seven years prior supervisory experience in the financial reporting/general ledger area.
- Experience working with an automated financial management system.
- Must be PC proficient and able to thrive in a fast -pace setting. Experience with SAP, JD. Edwards or other large automated accounting system a plus.
- Must have strong experience with Microsoft Excel, Access and Word.
- Strong verbal and written communication skills.
- Strong interpersonal, supervisory and customer service skills required.