Our client is a leading telecommunication and digital services provider that serves 50 million customers and employees of over 12,000 people around the world.
This is a great opportunity to be part of a company ranked in the top 25 of multinational companies of the “Great Place to Work” that offers great benefits for their employees.
They are seeking a Compliance Strategic Response Lead, to join their team in Miami, FL!
Qualifications / Requirements
- Experience conducting legal risk analysis and developing risk mitigation strategies for companies based on internationally applicable laws like the Foreign Corrupt Practices Act.
- A proven track record in a role that requires the exercise of good judgment, professionalism, and upholding ethical standards.
- Experience leading an international investigations team and framework, including training programs, policies, and procedures.
- Ability to articulate and implement understandable, layperson-friendly reports for the Compliance and Business Conduct Committee of Board, CECO, and other groups of stakeholders.
- Ability to write complete and concise reports detailing investigative steps, analysis, findings, and recommendations.
- Demonstrable knowledge of operational, legal, and statutory procedures and regulations.
- Ability to develop relationships at all levels to provide confidence in the quality and effectiveness of services provided by the compliance team and to ensure that relevant advice is sought proactively at all appropriate stages.
- A proven and strong ability to manage, collaborate, and interact with external advisers cost-effectively and of working with external law enforcement agencies and other relevant authorities.
- An experienced and engaged people manager with a track record of leading, developing, and enhancing teams within an international environment.
- A highly visible and accessible style with a ‘can-do’ attitude. An individual with the strength of character to ‘push back’ effectively when appropriate and resolve issues.
- A team player who possesses the cultural awareness and sensitivity to work effectively across multiple geographies and with a diverse group of co-workers.
- A proven investigator who can balance assertiveness with diplomacy and takes the different sensitivities and management cultures into account while being aware of the various regulatory and compliance constraints and systems, ultimately serving the interests of the company as a whole.
- Able to work in a fast-paced environment.
- Advise company, including senior leaders and other employees, on legal issues, including best course of action in relation to investigations or other responses to compliance concerns based on global best practice and global/local regulatory and legal requirements/limitations.
- Report directly to VP Ethics and Compliance, on all investigatory matters and other compliance issues that arise. Report to ET and Compliance and Business Conduct Committee of Board as needed.
- Lead strategy and priorities for company-wide response to compliance concerns and allegations, including follow-up or investigation of issues, counsel on mitigating risks, and recommendations on correcting conduct or processes.
- Identify and advise company and Ethics and Compliance team on improvement opportunities in the realm of responding to compliance concerns, including by identifying major strategic projects and/or initiatives to drive maturity and efficiency of the Compliance Strategic Response function.
- Supervise, assess, and revise company-wide investigations framework including investigation policies and procedures for legally privileged global investigations and guide coordination with other support functions to ensure company-wide consistency and quality of process.
- Lead a team of global investigators, and direct and manage global and local investigations covering a wide range of legal and other issues including corruption, fraud, AML, and certain HR-related issues across the company.
- Provide guidance and oversight to team that formulates plans, processes, and timetables to conduct an independent, accurate, complete, and thorough investigation in a privileged and confidential manner and with expedience.
- Interact with HQ leadership, country GMs and operations’ leadership team, global functions, and operation resources in managing investigations and other responses to compliance issues.
- Provide legal direction and management of the Millicom Ethics Line and work with the head of Global Compliance and HR to ensure that compliance issues/concerns within the organization are being appropriately evaluated, investigated, and resolved.
- Ensure and drive propagation of Speak Up culture in the company, with an aim to continue to promote accessibility and professional use, and ensure employees and affiliated parties are aware of and encouraged to raise compliance concerns and/or allegations.
- Advise on and have role in corrective/disciplinary process subsequent to investigative process, including an interdepartmental Corrective Action Team that reviews investigatory findings, and proposes and evaluates outcomes, including remediation, reporting, or requests for further investigation.
- Prepare and provide training and communication on the investigation process to company investigators. Work and align with the head of Global Compliance on training and communication to the general employee population.
- Conduct and participate in certain investigations, including by preparing for and conducting privileged interviews, reviewing data, and analyzing information relating to compliance investigations. Manage team to do same.
- Manage team that gathers, documents, and preserves information and evidence related to investigations in a privileged manner; analyzes that evidence to determine findings and conclusions; and writes privileged investigative reports cataloguing same.
- Work with external advisors and/or consultants as necessary to aid in deployment of investigations or other responses that require external involvement.
- JD from accredited law school.
- 8-12 years post law school experience with emphasis on conducting investigations into corruption, fraud, embezzlement, AML, and HR-related issues and managing investigatory teams.
- Experience managing teams of forensic accountants on investigations and other external and internal specialists as required from time to time.
- Experience in conducting and supervising teams conducting document review and analysis.
- Experience with and understanding of a corporate and professional environment with a demonstrable track record of leading a global investigations team of a sizeable international company and of successfully advising on anti-bribery and corruption issues and related matters at the most senior levels.
- Up-to-date knowledge of current and emerging legislation, standards, and regulations as well as compliance monitoring techniques, including UK Bribery Act, US Foreign Corrupt Practices Act, and other international laws.
- Direct experience working in developing regions and first-hand experience and awareness of the cultural and geopolitical nuances in Emerging Markets.
- Fluent in English and Spanish, verbal and written.