When it comes to finding a job, candidates too often turn to applying through online job boards, LinkedIn, or company job portals. While online applications are typically straight forward and easily accessible, they also result in huge candidate pools that makes it hard to stand out.
Another effective channel to find your next role is through job recruiters (aka headhunters) working with companies to fill open positions. Because the strength of a recruiter’s relationship with a client is directly tied to his or her ability to find the right candidate for a role, good recruiters invest time in vetting prospective candidates by asking screening questions to get a sense of their qualifications and interviewing skills.
Therefore, if you want to stand out as a promising candidate, you’ll want to be ready to answer some common questions so you can come across as polished and professional. Here are 10 of the most common questions recruiters ask candidates as they assess whether you may be right candidate to pitch to their clients.
1. Can you tell me about yourself?
2. What are your current responsibilities?
3. What’s your biggest accomplishment?
4. Why are you interested in moving on?
5. What’s your ideal next role?
6. What’s your timeline for moving on?
7. What are your location preferences?
8. What’s your current salary?
9. What are your salary expectations?
10. Are you actively working with any other recruiters on opportunities?