The Accounting Clerk functions as a bookkeeper and is responsible for maintaining tenant or rent receivable accounts as well as payments and maintaining the Company’s general ledger.
The Accounting Clerk communicates with the tenants directly and works closely with the leasing department to answers questions about tenant accounts and identify delinquent accounts for legal action.
Qualifications / Requirements
• A minimum of a two-year degree with a specialization in accounting and five or more years of experience in a similar role.
• Proven knowledge of bookkeeping and accounting principles, practices, standards, laws, and regulations.
• High attention to detail and accuracy.
• Customer service experience and skills.
• Proficient with Microsoft Office Suite, e.g., Excel, PowerPoint, Word, etc. and experienced in using accounting software.
• Strong written and verbal communication skills.
• Bilingual in English and Spanish.
• Receive and post all tenant payments, credits, and refunds.
• Review and update tenant accounts monthly for errors or inconsistencies in billing.
• Provide support to tenants on how to use the online portal to make payments and answer questions about their accounts.
• Contact tenants to make payment arrangements for delinquent accounts.
• Liaison between leasing and legal department on severely delinquent accounts referred for legal action.
• Prepare monthly billing statements, process incoming mail, and file all tenant documents. • Prepare tenant delinquency and collection report.
• Perform the monthly closing process and record all expenses incurred.
• Set up recurring payments in Rent Manager.
• Reconcile bank accounts, accounts payable and receivables monthly and process credits and/or refunds as needed. • Ensure transactions are processed and recorded correctly in Rent Manager.
Education / Training
• A two-year degree or specialization in accounting.